Search This Blog

Thursday, December 2, 2021

21-12-02 PHOTOS: Milwaukee North Line Express

For the past 8 years I have been using my annual trip to Chicago to collect railfan window video footage from inbound peak period express runs on Metra, the local commuter rail system. 2021 would be no different and my target for the trip would be a run on the Milwaukee North Line between Deerfield and Union station with a single stop at Western Ave. After I was at Union Station I walked down to get some photos from the Roosevelt Ave overpass. You can view the foll gallery here ( mirror ).

To get to Deerfield in time for my express run, I had to connect to an even earlier morning outbound local at Mayfair and to do that I utilized the CTA Blue Line to Montrose. That morning Budd built CTA 2600-series car #2716 was on the front of my train.


The Mayfair Station is adjacent to the famous 2x3 diamond crossing with the Chicago Northwestern, currently the Metra CNW-Northwest Line. While waiting at the station an inbound Metra train led by gallery cab car #8548 arrived ontrack #1 just before my outbound local showed up with F40PH-3 #115 in the lead.




On the outbound trip my local passed additional inbound trains including one with Metra F59PHI #92 near Glenview and an Amtrak Hiawatha service train with SC44 #4608.



Getting off at Deerfield here is a photo of the outbound shelter with my Gallery type cab car #8510.


My inbound Gallery cab car would be #8531.


If you could like to watch the video of this entire inbound express run you can watch it here.



On my inbound run my train encountered outbound local with MP36PH-3C #421, the Mayfair diamond with MP36PH-3C #411 and the now closed TOWER A-5.






Passing the Western Ave Yard, my train passed a line of resting Metra locomotives as well as the famous Milwaukee Road F40C's, #611 and #614.



At TOWER A-2 my train encountered the famous 3x4 diamond along with another outbound train propelled by F40PH-3 #104.




Two inbound clear signals at the Racine signal bridge. This location lost its PRR position lights several years ago.

At Union Station I got to see Amtrak's new Fallen Flagmas tree in addition to other holiday decor in the train hall.




Walking down to the Roosevelt Ave overpass I caught Metra leased BNSF GP39-2 #2655 switching out cars in the yard while Metra F40PH-3 #114 leads a trainset through the Union Station car washer.




As #114 completes its wash, an outbound Metra train with F40PHM-3 #213 in the new lightning scheme passes by on main track #1.


Metra F40PHM-3 #197 was next up through the wash. After the morning peak, Metra trains retire to the layover yard using the 0 track at the far west side of the Union Station terminal approach. The old carbon steel Pullman gallery cars are still in service, just downgraded to bike cars with a new coat of paint.



Unfortunately for Amtrak's Chicago Terminal train directors, it was Sperry Rail Service day. Ultrasonic inspection trucks, such as SRS 985, need to traverse every route within the interlocking, including every configuration of every double slip switch, sometimes on verbal instruction instead of signal indication. The train director's reward for this very intensive series of movements is often speed restrictions and/or tracks taken out of service.



I then found myself rewarded by the appearance of Metra's Chicago, Burlington and Quincy painted heritage unit, F40PHM-3 #211 as it headed to the layover yard.


The layover yard is paired with one of Metra's car shoppes, thus the need for switching operations to cycle specific cars into maintenance.


Over on the Amtrak side of the complex, a Beech Grove special with two Viewliner baggage cars, a horizon car, SC44 Charger #4633 and P42DC #18, was headed to or from a Cardinal.



Just before I left a double headed Metra train departed south out of Union Station with F40PH-3's #116 and lightning painted #181



Returning from downtown here are two CTA 3200-series trains led by #3212 and #3226 at the Cumberland Blue Line station.



When I got back to O'Hare my gate in Terminal 5 provided views of both the ORD people-mover and the CTA Blue Line approach.



Taking off my flight path gave me a great view of CN's Bensonville Yard.


That's all for my 2021 Chicago trip, next time I'll be back on the road again with a trip to Denver.

No comments:

Post a Comment