Note, due to a web hosting failure many of the links will not function. Please be patient as I repair the damage.
Search This Blog
Tuesday, September 9, 2025
25-09-09 PHOTOS: Cleveland Circle
In September of 2025 I was able to score a work related trip to Boston and since I have been making about two trips per year to that city for the past decade it was somewhat difficult to figure out a railfan mission besides ride up and ride back. I ultimately came up with a nighttime round trip out on the Green Line C Branch to Cleveland Circle. This set of photos also has the distinction of being taken entirely with my phone camera as I was always in low light or actively traveling.
As is typical my trip kicked off at the Amtrak BWI Airport Rail Station. Upon arrival I caught ACS-86 #634 with a southbound Regional, however I would be on classic Acela set #17 with power car #2022 leading train #2252. At this point in time the Next Gen sets had officially entered service, but with only a single weekend round trip I would not be on one.
Here are some videos from the side window of #2252 including racing cars at the BELL flyover and passing through Trenton non-stop.
At the Penn Station "halftime" break I grabbed a photo of NJT ALP-46 class unit #4600.
Crossing the Connecticut River Drawbridge, work had started on its eventual replacement, which did not seem to be making use of the piers the New Haven had built for that purpose.
Old #2022 completed its trip, pulling into Boston South Station's track #6. I then proceeded South Station Under to catch a Red Line train to Shawmut.
Instead of waiting around at South Station Under, I caught a Braintree train to JFK UMass where a CRRC train with #01936 arrived for me to complete my journey down the Ashmont Branch.
Fortunately there was still plenty of classic rolling stock running around on the Red Line like 1970 vintage Pullman Standard car #01617.
To catch the Green Line C Branch I would be making the transfer at Park St. Here an 01800 series car waits at the north end of the platform.
The platform arrival sign say Type 7 #3608 here is a C branch train, but the destination sign implies otherwise.
Looks like old #3608 got its sign change as it sits next to Type 8 #3863 at the Cleveland Circle terminal. The D Branch was in the middle of an extended maintenance outage so a lot of people were transfering from buses to C Branch giving the terminal a busy feeling well after dark.
Type 8 #3846 awaiting its turn to pull into the departure track from the yard lead.
Type 7 #3608 now standing next to #3629 after the departure of Tyoe 8 #3863.
After the relay move, the next C Branch train arrived with Type 7 #3660 arriving behind an unidentified Type 8 and coming to stand beside Type 8 #3846 to at the opposite end of the Cleveland Circle platform. Type 7's and Type 8 LRV's typically run in pairs for ADA purposes.
Type 8 #3646 back at Park St. along with Red Line car #01731 on the lower level.
I was staying with a friend in Dorchester and used the Shawmut stop on the Ashmont branch of the Red Line. This extension of the Red Line was completed in 1928 and transitized a former New Haven Railroad branch line.
A couple of night photos of Boston landmarks including Fenway Park and the Kenmore Square Citgo Sign.
Another transfer at Park St between number siblings Type 8 #3880 and 01800 series #01880
I did manage to collect a trip on one of the few remaining 01500 series cars, #01521. These had been delivered along with the 01600-series as single units that were later combined into pairs.
My trip back south got me to Boston South Station in daylight where I could better appreciate the arched pedestal for the new Ritz Carlton hotel for which the South Station platforms were shortened by 2 car lengths to accommodate.
Unfortunately I also found markings for a planned faregates similar to the one installed at Boston North Station.
Towards the station end of the platforms MBTA cab car #1845 was sitting across from Acela power car #2027, which was showing some battle damage in the form of a missing nose panel.
At the far end of the platform HSP-46 #2020 was across from Acela power car #2033 which was able to peek out into a beautiful September morning. My train was delayed for an hour due to the initial set being unserviceable. Instead of canceling the run Amtrak managed to find a replacement Acela set in the yard and my train managed to depart after a one hour delay.
Passing by former New Haven tower SS119 in Groton and Sperry Rail Service doodlebug #125 on a storage track in Branford.
My southbound train was also one of the first to use the new HAROLD duckunder. Although the intended for eastbound trains, my Acela was wrong-railing and got to use it en-route to East River Tunnel Line 1. The east and westbound duckunders will allow Amtrak trains to and from New Englande to avoid conflicting with LIRR traffic. They are the final major pieces of the East Side Access megaproject.
The new Hackensack River Bridge was nearing completion with all three main spans having been erected and work moving on to tracks, signaling and overhead electrification.
The old HUDSON tower was looking much worse for wear.
The goat cheese and strawberry salad was a nice addition to the Acela First Class menu for folks looking to compliment one of the heavier meals.
Finishing things up with Acela power car #2027 at BWI Rail Station.
Tune back next time for some photos around the Laurel, MD area on MARC's Camden Line.
No comments:
Post a Comment