Search This Blog

Sunday, January 9, 2022

22-01-09 VIDEOS: R32 Retirement

In my previous post I covered the R32 retirement runs in early 2022 and mentioned that I would need to put all of the video content in a separate post. This will have both the long R32 railfan window videos on its combination B/Q routing as well as shorter clips from throughout the day.

In fact we'll start off with one such clip taken at the Hamilton NJT station on the cold Sunday morning as the southbound Amtrak Train 79 Palmetto races through en-route to the warmer environs of Savannah, GA.



The only way to get a railfan window for the southbound trip from 96th St on the Second Avenue Subway was to camp out in the rear of the consist from Brighton Beach. For all of the railfan window videos I had to use a selfie wand to get the GoPro camera up close to the window due to the presence of an anti-COVID chain to keep people "away" from the half-cab. The first video covers the reverse view of the express run from Brighton Beach to Prospect Park.



The second part covers the reverse view from Prospect Park to DeKalb Ave.



Part three is DeKalb to 42nd St Times Square.



And the final part covering 42nd St Times Square to 96th St Second Avenue.



My plan worked perfectly and by standing firm I managed to snag a prime RFW view for the southbound trip. Again the videos are in four parts, 96th to 42nd, 42nd to DeKalb, DeKalb to Prospect Park and Prospect Park to Brighton Beach.









After the first round trip I did a little walk along the platform and through the trainset to capture the whole vibe of the proceedings.



I then proceeded ahead of the next R32 departure to get some photos at Kings Highway. While waiting for the R32 retirement train to show up, I caught a pair of Q Brighton Beach local trains using R46 stock passing each other near Avenue U.



The payoff was this video of NYCTA oldest rolling stock passing NYCTA's second oldest rolling stock just south of the Kings Highway crossover. The R32's were the only express trains running on the Brighton Line that day due to the Covid related suspension of the B train. The camera runs as the R32irement train arrives past the throngs of Fantographers where I then enter to find Fred G.



I then proceed to 72nd St and Second Ave and get off in order to get video of the R32 set returning from 96th St. It seemed to miss its departure so I also shot some R46 and R68 Q train filler.







I'll wrap things up where I part ways with the R32's for the final time as it pulls southbound out of 34th St Herald Square.



I hope you enjoyed all of the videos as I begin to share a new year's worth of railfan content.

No comments:

Post a Comment