Search This Blog

Friday, August 13, 2021

21-08-13 PHOTOS: Radnor 100

Not all my trips are epic cross country journeys. In August 2021 I needed to attend to come family business in South Jersey before meeting up with someone for an event in Valley Forge. The easiest pickup point was Radnor, just a mile or so from the Blue Route and so I booked a ticket on Amtrak up to Philly followed the next day by a PATCO / Market Frankford / Route 100 combination from Haddonfield to Radnor. The photos can all be found here ( mirror ).

Starting things off at BWI with Amtrak ACS-86 #638 leading a Regional.


Pulling into Philly and passing SEPTA Silverliner IV #179 at Arsenal.


Making a dash to make the SEPTA connection downtown on the upper level, I did stop briefly to take a photo of NJT Atlantic City Line Comet V cab car #6018 that was hanging out on the other side of the platform instead of the more usual Track 1/2.


Would you look at that, I caught the same inbound Maryland Division SEPTA train my Regional passed at ARSENAL.


Skipping ahead to the next day my trip to Radnor begins at the Haddonfield PATCO station where I was surprised by an extremely rare double trainset equipment move, likely for the following week's Atlantic City Air Show. The leading trainset had Comet V cab car #6051 and GP40PH-2B #4206 while the trailing trainset had Comet V cab car #6063 and GP40PH-2B #4202. This style of movement is used because of the lack of extra crews for the Atlantic City Line given its distance from the bulk of NJT operations in the north.



My train to Philly eventually showed up led by rebuild car #1093.


Once on the MFL I decided to take video from 11th Street all the way to the terminus at 69th St. A service disruption on the normal outbound 69th St platform required the signal to be canceled, time run and a new route aligned onto track 2 on the normally inbound island platform.



Despite shooting video I was able to use my phone to get some still pictures including M-4 cars #1186 and #1094.




Arriving at 69th St, my train, led my M-4 #1152, pulled in next to the disabled trainset led by M-4 #1137 on the usual side wall arrivals platform.



My N-5 car on the Route 100 was going to be #141 that day.


SEPTA Routes 101 and 102 K-cars past the far side of the MFL loop track.


Route 100 N-5 #131 at the 69th St shoppe complex.


The front of southbound N-5 car #137 making an appearance at Haverford.


After departing Radnor #141 scooted under the PRR Main Line.



displayed signal hinted at the arrival of a southbound train and I was not disappointed when SEPTA N-5 #147 appeared on the scene.



Since I had arrived well in advance of my ride, I decided to walk the half mile to the SEPTA R5 Radnor stop on the PRR Main Line as an inbound train was scheduled to arrive shortly. I was greeted by a set of Silverliners IV with #367 on the front and #386 on the rear.



That generally marked the end of the rail portion of my weekend, although I was able to pop by the former Reading RR station in Phoenixville, PA.


That's all for today. Next week I'll be headed back to Dallas to explore the southern reaches of the DART system.

No comments:

Post a Comment