Search This Blog

Friday, May 28, 2021

21-05-28 PHOTOS: Cicadas Seem Xtreme

Late in May 2021 I didn't have a ton going on as some of my usual activities had been cancelled due to Covid. As a result I found some local attractions to fill in the gaps, specifically an additional tunnel on the CSX Old Main Line and some N&W position lights on the NS H-Line near Shenandoah, VA. All while the Mid-Atlantic region was getting swarmed by the Brood X cicada's that had emerged after a 17 year slumber below ground. You can find the sets of photos here ( mirror ) and here ( mirror ).

You may recall my 2020 effort to visit all of the tunnels on the B&O Old Main Line between Baltimore and Point of Rocks. Well I missed two, Woodbine and Hartman, and since Woodbine was surprisingly close to the previously visited Hood siding, I figured it would be a nice weekend activity to get some steps in. The Woodbine tunnel was built/rebuilt in 1902, is 385 feet long and is half mile west of EAST HOOD interlocking.



Due to its above average grades, the Old Main Line is primarily used as an eastbound route for empty unit coal trains returning from the Port of Baltimore. I happened to catch one such train on my walk, just west of the tunnel.


Power was provided by CSX two AC4400s, with #413 in the lead.



A bit later in the month I managed to catch Amtrak's westbound Capitol Limited while attending a birthday party near Garrett Park MARC station. P42DC #13 was the only power assigned to the COVID shortened consist.





Since I have an older property with large trees more than 17 years old, I saw a pretty intense cicada emergence. The nymphs feed off the roots of select tree species including, but not limited to Maple, Oak and Sycamore. After 17 years they emerge, molt and mate with the next generation heading back underground for another 17 years. The evolutionary strategy overwhelms potential predators similar in concept to an RAF bomber stream.



They mostly emerge from the ground to crawl up things and molt at night, mostly.



The former N&W H-Line runs between Roanoke, VA and Hagerstown, MD. It's a single track with passing sidings and has become a preserve of N&P color position light signaling south of Front Royal, VA. Most local freight operations on the northern part of the line are run out of the yard in Shenandoah, VA with the north end of said yard at JUNIOR AVE interlocking, seen here with a southbound NS freight strung through it as perhaps a crew is swapped out.



The Shenandoah Station / Yard Office is still largely intact from the N&W era and appears to be a pretty happening place.





While I was there another soundbound train rolled in powered by NS C44-9W #9701 and C40-10W #7703.




The train was there to make some setouts and I didn't have any time to wait for it south of town.



This deli located across the street from the yard office certainly knows its clientele.


Instead of went to try my luck at the south of Stanley, which was host to another N&W CPL interlocking.


Unfortunately I had no further luck with NS trains, but Stanley did host an MoW base and high rail truck.


Bracket masts are standard at these passing siding interlockings. The signal for the siding is mounted on a lower post to help prevent confusion.


Well that's all I have for this week. I'll sign out with a photo of a pillow I noticed in a local store. Not the correct railroad, but I appreciate the sentiment.



No comments:

Post a Comment