Search This Blog

Saturday, June 27, 2020

20-06-27 PHOTOS: COVID Crescent

Here is Part 2 of my June 2020 trip to Georgia via a sleeping accommodation on Amtrak's Crescent. Due to the pandemic I wasn't inclined to travel either on an aircraft or passenger rail coach, however a sleeping car roomette provided the perfect amount of isolation for a safe trip. Part 1 covered the video clips I captured at Washington DC's Union Station and Gainesville, GA. This part will cover all the still photos from the same locations as the rear placement of the baggage car precluded most photos en-route. The complete gallery can be found here ( mirror ).

I started my journey at the Halethorpe MARC station. Because LD trains don't stop at the BWi Airport Rail Station my choices were going down to Union Station or waiting at Baltimore Penn. I chose Baltimore as it would ensure platform access to observe the power change. At Halethorpe, Construction on tracks 1 and A required use of track bridges and special platform gondola cars for passengers to access track #2. Amtrak MP15D #573 was hanging out south of the platform cars, probably to pull them away for the night's work.


A southbound MARC trainset with diesel MP36PH-3C #27 arrived first, just before my northbound train with HHP-8 #4913



The burly HHP-8's were out in force that day because MARC was running longer trainsets to facilitate social distancing. Here is #4912 departing Baltimore Penn Station.


Due to reduced service and poor connection times I had to wait 2 hours in a deserted Baltimore Penn for my Southbound Crescent Train #19, which arrived behind ACS-86 #605.


#605 again, this time at Union Station.


The VRE equipment, including MP36PH-3C #V55 and cab car #V717, was all looking pretty factory fresh.



Also caught Amtrak SW1200 #796 towing a Regional trainset back to Ivy City.


As I departed along the Virginia Ave corridor a storm was descending over the Capitol complex in an apt metaphor for the times.



In-room dining was convenient and reasonable enough.


12 hours later I was in Gainesville, GA where NS road power in the form of C44-10W #7703 and ES44AC #8172, was waiting to pick up a grain train or something.


Local fright services were ready to be covered by SD40's-2 #3223 and #3567 as the Cargill shop switchers wait in the wings.


While waiting for my ride, NS C44-9W powers through MIDLAND interlocking at the head of an intermodal train.


I also got to witness operation of one of those mushroom shaped General Railway Signal electric switch locks.


At Bogart, GA I caught a CSX movement on the Abbeville Sub where ET's44 #3198 and #3317 were sandwiching classic AC4400 #539. The three big road units looked out of place on such a short train however.



Back at Gainesville a few days later for the return trip a trio of NS C44-9W's including #9326, #9717 and #9199 were on hand for whatever purpose. NS's massive fleet of over 600 C44-9W's are flowly being converted into AC44A6M's by GE.



The Cargill switchers, including CRGX GP9 #405, were working to spot cars at the end of a long day.


With northbound Train #20's scheduled departure time of 930pm, my old spring and fall travel pattern always had me waiting in complete darkness. However this year's trip on just about the summer solstice allows me to enjoy some daylight. As one might expect for this early in the pandemic I was the only person boarding from Gainesville that day.


As the sun set a short local freight led by SD40-2 #6077 coasted to a stop at MIDLAND to wait for Amtrak Train 20 to pass by.


The station is unstaffed, but has a local caretaker who cleans, opens and closes the building. This situation has been in effect for some time as the self serve passenger warning sign still features the pointless arrow. Co-located with an NS crew base, the freight railroaders want to make sure that Amtrak passengers are aware of the difference.


With little passenger traffic and still reduced freight volumes, Train 20 was quite a bit early as it passed the restored VIRGINIA tower, heading into Washington, DC.


The power change was still pretty much business as usual with Amtrak P42DCs #129 and #187 waiting on the lower level for the next through train.


Amtrak ACS-86 #649 would be our electric power heading north while #616 stood on the adjacent track ready to depart with a northbound Regional.



Lead power for my return trip had been Amtrak P442DC #121.


Outbound from DC here I am passing by VRE's Ivy City storage yard with sibling MP36PH-3C's #V59 and V60.


Fortunately I made a close MARC connection at Baltimore Penn, avoiding another wait, but also avoiding any chance for additional photos. Instead I had to be content with this shot of MARC split level cab car #8-56 at BWI.


That's all for my Pandemic Special! Next week I head back to Pittsburgh for my first visit to the Bessemer and lake Erie.

No comments:

Post a Comment