Search This Blog

Saturday, June 8, 2019

19-06-08 PHOTOS: Balt-Wash

A number of my larger photo sets have a few Baltimore/Washington area photos scattered in so I am going to just consolidate them into a single post here.  In June of 2019 I had a number of events take place around DC which resulted in MARC, Amtrak and DC Metro photos including an extended stint at the Metro's New York Ave station.  You can find most of the photos at the bottom of the PATCO Shoppe Tour photo set here.

First up is the Amtrak BWI Airport Rail Station seen here in the midst of a rebuilding effort that was replacing the brutalist concrete facade with hopefully non-flammable architectural panels.  Opening was still a number of weeks away, but even incomplete the improvement is marked.


My goal was to get to Washington, DC and my mode was a MARC train of Bombardier split levels with cab car #8046 in the lead.


 Transferring to the METRO at Union Station I grabbed a photo of an outboud train of 6k cars including #6087.


After a day of moving and shaking I was back on the Metro at Gallery place where it was mothing but 7k cars on the Red Line.



Traveling to New York Ave to kill time before my scheduled MARC train, I observed Amtrak ACS-86 #657 in MARC service pushing a trainset into Washington Union Station.


An outbound Metro 7k train  then showed up.


 Before I caught Amtrak ACS-86 #649 hanging out for a power change operation.


A few 6k cars were still roving around in the early evening. 


As I waited Brunswick Line MARC MP36PH-3C #16 and Bombardier cab car #8045 pass under K TOWER's J Bridge en-route to the CSX Metropolitan Sub.





Another outbound Metro train of 6k cars with #6025 trailing.


An Acela Express with power car #2011 leading travels on the last few hundred yards of its journey. 


 Inbound WMATA 7k train with #7228 trailing at New York Ave.


Finally it was time to head home.  The trainset was composed of MARC bi-level K-cars with Kab Kar #7848 on the rear.


Amtrak cat car #A16511 was  sitting on one of the low numbered tracks at Union.


Jumping ahead, a birthday party brought me out to Garrett Park, MD where I was able to duck out to catch the Amtrak's Train 29, the westbound Capitol Limited with P40DC #816 leading and P42DC #197 trailing behind.  Trying to use my photo as a stationary video camera didn't work too well and I also managed to futz up the stills :-(








I'll finish up with some wildlife photos of whitetail deer in their summer coats.  The doe in the first two photos is nursing her fawn and looks great for having given birth just a month or so prior.




No comments:

Post a Comment