Search This Blog

Thursday, July 21, 2005

05-07-21 CLASSIC PHOTOS: Syracuse Trip

Back in 2005 I was waiting on a job to start, but since I was still technically unemployed I was invited to a job fair event for my scholarship programme in Syracuse, NY.  I requested to travel via Amtrak and I was pleasantly surprised when they agreed to foot the bill.  These photos were taken from Empire Service train on the trip between NYC and Syracuse. You can find the complete set of photos here.

We begin at Croton-Harmon with the recently restored HM tower.


The MNRR M7A's in the yard were still pretty new back then.


Amtrak's Rhinecliff station as seen from the north.  Rear facing railfan windows on Empire trains were present to Albany, but past there the rear cars were closed.


We had to wait at CP-114 for Amtrak P32AC-DM #705 and its train south of Hudson.






This was due to a CSX track patrol hi-rail getting itself situated on track 1.



The New York Central cantilever covering track 2 and the Schodak Branch at CP-125.


Old school track configuration at Albany. The Post Road branch for the Lake Shore Boston section heads off to the left.


Amtrak P32AC-DM #709 at Albany-Rensselaer.


Pool P32AC-DM #707 and #702 hanging out at the Albany diesel shoppe.


Unknown P32AC-DM with P42DC #109 at the Albany Diesel shoppes.


Former NY Central Tower 30 at Utica.


After the conference I got a ride back to the new Syracuse transportation center.  Standing on the high level platform I caught a Clear signal on the westbound cantilever at CP-291.  For a time this may have been the westernmost high level platform on the Amtrak system.


FURX SD40-2 #3044 and Conrail SD40-2 #8840 passing by with a train of autoracks.  CSX always liked using economical motive power on it's autorack trains.  I have frequently seen them with a single C40-8.




Amtrak P42DC #92 pulling up to the Syracuse high level platform with the Lake Shore Limited in tow. I had been dropped off quite a bit early for my train as I had to catch a shuttle that was first dropping people at the airport for a popular flight.


Still, it gave me some time for some CSX action like AC4400 #141 here shown about to diverge at CP-291.



My Niagara Falls Empire Service train finally arrived with Amtrak P32AC-DM #715.


CSX GP38-2 #2775 sitting somewhere along the old NY Central main line.


Adirondack Scenic F9 #1508.


CSX C44-9W #9045 waiting for my train to clear up at CP-169 (Hoffmans).


Amtrak MP15DC #531 switching some Express Trak cars at Albany.


Amtrak P32AC-DM #715 again, this time at Albany Rensselaer.


Amtrak P42 DC's including #181 hanging out north of the station, ready to tie onto a Lake Shore train from New York.


Interior photo of the New York State Senate President Joe Bruno Albany-Rensselaer Rail Station.


Bear Mountain Bridge from the east shore.


New York Central interlocking tower! CD tower north of Croton-Harmon. OW tower at Tarrytown and DV tower at Spyten Duyvil.




The now demolished DV tower as seen through the truss of the Inwood movable bridge.


The window of sunshine seen while entering Penn Station from the west.


After my trip I proceeded up to Connecitcut as I was sating someone there at the time.  Along the way I photographed this passing of an Amtrak Regional from an express MNRR New Haven Line train of M2/4/6 MU cars.


Power was the ill-fated Amtrak AEM-7 #915, which caught fire a few years later and never repaired.


No comments:

Post a Comment