Search This Blog

Sunday, December 22, 2019

19-12-22 PHOTOS: Nostalgia 145th St

No matter how many times I try to step back from the crowded frenzy of the NYCTA Holiday Nostalgia Train, the more they end up dragging me back with some new route or destination that makes the ride a "must attend" as a means to gather what has become otherwise impossible to obtain railfan window video. After years of the same old 2nd Ave to Queens Plaza run, the Holiday Nostalgia Train was first diverted up the new Second Ave Subway, followed the next year by an express run up the 8th Ave line to 125th St. For 2019 the trip was going to stick to 8th Ave, but travel an additional express stop to 145th St. It was for this extra mileage that I bought my NJT tickets and set sail for the Windy Apple yet again.

You can find all the still photos here ( mirror ) and next week I'll be posting all of the video.

To get up to 2nd Ave for the 10am departure I had to change at Newark Penn to take The PATH to lower Manhattan. Power for my NEC Line train was NJT ADP-45 #4503. These dual modes are increasingly used as straight electrics as opposed to something that might eliminate passengers changing trains.


The train was led by split level cab car #7001, seen here facing an Approach Medium indication on the 60L suspended signal signal at DOCK interlocking.


Of course the PATH train had left just minutes before the NJT arrival and Sunday morning headways were abysmal so after freezing my ass off for 20 minutes I was on my way. With PATH's front window no more, I had to settle for some side sides of DOCK tower, HUDSON tower and the HACK movable bridge.




Arriving downtown I found that the hyper expensive PATH train hall had become a glorified popup holiday mall.


R32's like #3470 here on a C service, were still rolling at W4th St.


Also at W4th was R68 #2446 on a D routing.


A Cuomo striped R160 on the F transported me to 2nd Ave where the Nostalgia Train was waiting, along with the Baseball Furies.



After video time I found myself at 145th St. The accurate destination sign was a nice touch absent from the 2nd Ave and Queens Plaza runs.


Now it was time to fight my way onto R9 #1802 to get video on the reverse trip. Unfortunately a stumblebum had seized one of the primo seats, occasionally drinking from a brown paper bag he would then stuff down his pants to make doubly invisible. I warned him that the front of the car was about to be overrun with little kids and therefore scrutiny, but he didn't listen so I reported him to some authority figures and had him bounced off the train. I am not normally one to care about such things, but I wasn't about to take a chance when head end video was on the line.




Arriving back at 2nd Ave the crowds were even more insane.


Included amoungst them was Subchat's own Todd Glickman.


Due to a scheduled all-I-could-eat sushi dinner I couldn't make a second round trip, but I ran into Kio Morris at the rear window on #1802 and rode with him to 59th St.


From there I caught another set of R32's on the C, led by #3770, for the short hop to 34th St and Penn Station.


Availing myself of the new Post Office Headhouse, I used the Cuomo Concourse to reach my outbound NJT Local with Arrow III #1321 in front.




Across the tracks was a southbound Amtrak Regional with ACS-86 #603 hiding behind some pylons.


#1321 took my back to Hamilton where the parking garage exit machine tried to eat my credit card. Miraculously I was able to summon an employee who opened the machine and fished out my card that had fallen into the ticket hopper.


With all of my tasks achieved and all obstacles overcome, it was time to celebrate with sushi.

 
Make sure you tune in next time for the videos from the 145th St run!



No comments:

Post a Comment