Note, due to a web hosting failure many of the links will not function. Please be patient as I repair the damage.
Search This Blog
Friday, August 29, 2025
25-08-30 PHOTOS: Lower Hellgate Line
As Penn Station Access ramps up on Amtrak's Hellgate Line between Sunnyside, Queens and New Rochelle Rochelle, it has started to put pressure on the Amber PRR Position Light signals that were installed in the 1980's to replace New Haven era semaphores. Some research indicated that some of the once nd future Hellgate Line signal locations were accessible for photography so I scheduled a NYC day trip to visit those at Mileposts 09 and 11 as well as Amtrak's new LEGGETT interlocking. As a bonus I got some photos of the old Bronx River movable bridge which is adjacent to a new linear park.
As usual the trip started at BWI with ACS-86 #613 ahead of whatever Amtrak Regional had reasonable prices. I then stayed overnight with family in South Jersey to get a jump on the next day's NYC activities.
Since I was unable to secure low cost Amtrak travel to NYC I decided to rely on NJT's RiverLINE making a PATCO connection at the Walter "Ayn" Rand Transportation Center.
There seemed to be a lot of NS road power lined up at Conrail's Pavonia Yard
A CSX road freight was crewed and ready to go with CM44AC #7247 leading.
NJT RiverLINE DMU #3510 at the Trenton buffer stops.
Getting to the southmost platform at the Trenton Amtrak/NJT station, an inbound SEPTA R7 was on the South High track with Silverliner V #809 leading. It departed shortly before my NJT arrived.
My NJT Northeast Corridor Line train had single level equipment with Comey V cab car #6064 leading.
Phase 3 heritage painted Amtrak P32AC-DM #717 at Penn Station.
My (6) train with R62 equipment northbound at 125th St.
Getting off at 143rd st I was just in time to miss the passage of Acela Next Gen Set #14 with power car #2141 in front of the old New Haven SS3 (OAK ) tower.
The slow moving Penn Station Access project is requiring quite a bit of single tracking on the Hellgate line. To support this and future service improvements a new interlocking, LEGGETT, was constructed at the eastern end of the Hellgate Bridge. Here an eastbound Regional takes a Clear signal on the new cantilever structure.
After the photos at LEGGETT I it was back to the (6) train to travel a few stops to Whitlock Ave, which is the first stop on the elevated section.
This stop is notable for the decaying remains of the New Haven't Westchester Ave Station and the (6) train steel truss viaduct over the Bronx River.
The highlight of the day was the Bronx River Greenway which is adjacent to the old New Haven Railroad movable bridge This twin span, 4-trackway bascule drawbridge was built to allow for navigation back when this was a significant industrial area. The large towers were part of the electrification system carrying 11 and 22kv feeders over the waterway at sufficient clearance for ships to pass. While I was waiting Amtrak ACS-86 #603 passed by with a southbound Regional.
About a quarter mile to the east I caught ACS-86 #646 passing the westbound Milepost 11.3 intermediate signals.
At this point the closest (6) train station was Elder Ave. I had a reasonable amount of time before I had to be at Penn Station for my train back home, so I decided to first head out to the Pelham Bay Park terminal for some additional photo ops. While waiting I was passed by a southbound (6) before my northbound trains of R62's pulled up.
Head end of my R62 (6) train at Pelham Bay.
Second train of Rs62 arriving on the opposite track. The first 5 cars were in the Subway Pride scheme.
Two trains of R62's at Pelham Bay Station with cars including #2045 and #1716..
Passing by Westchester Yard on the return trip.
Times Square Shuttle at the renovated Times Square Station.
7th Ave express tracks looking towards 34th St Penn Station.
Heading down to track level at NYP I encountered NJT ML Cab Car #7041 on track #14 with LIRR M9 EMU #9029 on track #16.
I would be on an Acela with leading power car #2012 heading in from Boston.
Their age was becoming apartment. The vestibule of the Quiet Car had been flooded by a leak in the restroom plumbing.
After getting off at BWI a northbound MARC Penn Line train pulled in on track #1 with SC44 #85 leading. The north end of the platform was closed for reconstruction.
As a bonus here are some additional Amtrak NEC photos at the Halethorpe MARC station. First up is what I believe to be northbound Crescent Train #20 with ACS-86 #608.
Next was a southbound Regional on track #3 running top and tail with ACS-86's #619 and #644.
Track A was still closed for work related to the new B&P tunnel replacement so the track bridge gondolas were out.
Southbound MARC Penn Line local with ML cab car #8047 and MP36PH-3C #25.
That's all for this trip. The weather was absolutely phenomenal and I hope to be able to follow up with additional NYC day trips in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment